The thing I discovered about making these homemade Pop Tarts (and from making “homemade” food in general) is that I shouldn’t expect the food to taste like what I would get out of the package. The main ingredient for these pop tarts is pie crust–what I made was pie crust with jelly. So when anyone asked about how they tasted, it’s honestly more of a pastry flavor, than the saccharine sweet that many come to expect from the Pop Tart brand. They were good, I just wish my expectations were better set up.
I combined these two recipes I found on Pinterest for my own. I did not make my own pie, and I did not make my own preserves. This is the quick and dirty recipe. (Theoretically, it’s pretty fast to make them on your own, but there’s still a significant cooling time before frosting the pastry). In the future, I would either choose to do a different flavor –cinnamon sugar, for sure–or change the crust and use a puff pastry instead.
- Store-bought refrigerated pie crust (2 per box)
- Strawberry preserves
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- Pre-heat oven per the directions on the pie crust.
- Roll out pie crust on parchment paper on a flat surface.
- Using a small knife, slice crust into 8 sections.
- Using a spoon, dollop desired size of preserves onto half of the slices.
- Place other half of slices on top of the preserve’d crusts and secure together by pressing together with a fork.
- Transfer un-baked pop tarts onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or use the parchment paper from the assembly process.
- Bake in the oven for amount specified in on the pie crust box, about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Repeat process with second crust!
- While the pastry is baking, make your icing (if you prefer to wait until the pop tarts are cooled before doing this, I would recommend that, otherwise it’s just sitting out while you wait for them to cool).
- Combine ingredients of the icing into a bowl and mix well. Add more milk for desired consistency. Once the pop tarts are completely cooled – use a spoon to drizzle desired amount of icing on it. Add sprinkles for fun.
- Eat right away or re-heat in the microwave later for a tasty treat!